Sunday, May 3, 2009

Movin' On Up

Somehow my search for the perfect home has come to an end. Well, it's not quite perfect. The drive to work will be a bit longer and I cannot go jogging in the neighborhood. But... I have found something gorgeous. Nestled next to a stunning historic district, the place is minutes away from my favorite haunts. Tall ceilings, crown molding, hardwood floors, custom cabinetry (with a built-in wine rack!), gated parking and most importantly, an extra room which will be dedicated to craft-related pursuits. I fell in love with the charm of the place and the residents I saw looked artistic and friendly. Best of all, the property owner has a warm personality and gave me a flexible move-in date. This way, I can have some extra time before my current lease expires.

I have been silent on my favorite websites due to the nightmare I encountered trying to pack. Before actually starting to put my worldly possessions into boxes, some decisions had to be made. Being a lifelong pack rat definitely has its disadvantages. My first order of business was to completely clean out my closet and mercilessly judge every article of clothing. This was a lot of work and the end result? A full two thirds was donated to charity. I thought I would feel a sense of loss, but this quickly became sheer relief. The next phase was the craft room. This has been home to every scrap of paper and item that I thought I couldn't part with. This was a bigger task than I could take on, so I gathered up everything that was obviously unnecessary and will be selling things at a yard sale next month.

After I finished going through both rooms, the actual packing began. After a few weeks, I think I am finally starting to win! The new apartment has very little closet space and I think having fewer things will help me in the long run. The game plan is to avoid making frivolous purchases and focus on big ticket items, like shelves and a sofa. Wall art is also a priority since I want to completely reinvent my living space. Decals are an attractive option, but I can't reuse them when I move. I found a knitting decal, but I can't get over the creep-factor of having giant hands on my wall. I found a few tips on making DIY stickers with contact paper, but they may not look professional enough with my poor cutting skills. Perhaps I need to bribe some of my more dexterous and creative friends to help.

Due to the chaos of the move and endless days of rain, I have been unable to take photos of new knitting projects. In reality, I am only working on the lap blanket. It is a completely mindless endeavor and I may reach my goal of finishing before I settle into the new home. It's quite exciting to de-stash 1,600 yards of an impulse purchase. Especially since I am vowing to not indulge such egregious behavior in the future.

[EDIT: I drafted the beginning of this entry on May 3rd, but I am actually posting on May 24th. Odd, no?]

No comments: