Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Getting Back on the Wagon

The title exists for several reasons. All of which are obviously referential to an addiction of some sort. The most important (to me at least) is the breaking of the yarn diet. Some may consider this falling off the wagon, but I feel differently. Honestly, I have not knitted in a while. The needles have felt foreign in my hands and the fiber has been lifeless. This is cyclical and seems to happen at least once a year, but never this long. After taking a trip to NYC and visiting School Products and managing to buy nothing, I feared the worst. Is my favorite hobby dead? Will I no longer feel joy stalking Ravelry patterns and groping strange yarn in small shops? How will I feel without my friends alternating mocking my "weird" hobby with asking for handmade gifts?

Consider my personal myth officially debunked! It all started with a guilty, nagging feeling. My ex-roommate wanted a beret and I was determined to make one for her. After miserably failing one attempt at the Gretel Beret, her hat has been in "time out" for the past year. Thanks to an email newsletter regarding a new shipment of Malabrigo at my LYS, an idea was hatched. I would knit her the Star Crossed Slouchy Beret (Ravelry link only). Never having worked with Malabrigo before, I wasn't sure what to expect.

It was far better than I imagined. The soft merino slid like butter in my hands and the hat was completed within two days. The picture here is the FO (un-blocked) in the Saphire Green colorway and this will surely look stunning on the redhead.

Oh, but did I stop the purchase with just her yarn? Nope! Two skeins of the Velvet Grapes colorway are sitting in a bag on my kitchen table, dying to be handled soon. I am not going to fret too much about what to knit with them because there is a sure feeling in my gut that Malabrigo and I are going to have quite the long-term relationship.

The sewing is progressing in a slow but confident fashion. I haven't been able to meet up with my friend very often and we finally started working on my owl skirt a few weeks ago. Perhaps in two weeks I can finish what I started. Char showed me how to construct flat darts and she continues to challenge me with techniques. Not expected, but definitely appreciated as a newbie. There is no end to my excitement about this owl skirt, guaranteed to beat up lesser, more boring skirts.

2 comments:

Lissa said...

Uh-huh. I'm given to understand that Malabrigo is like crack, and you are not proving me wrong!

The hat is adorable, might have to look into that pattern myself. And I get the whole knitting hiatus thing - I went months this year without it. Not sure why...it just happened. I'm back on the wagon too, now, having just cranked out a stack of washrags for my kid brother. So yay for knitting?

blueyed wench said...

Lovely hat.