Saturday, September 22, 2007

Simplistic Peony Socks


Simple Socks
Originally uploaded by craftytails
I really should have taken the user ID "Astigmatism Photos". For right now, I will dispense with the whining and get on with the knitting.

Even though I have a plethora of projects to complete, I have been toiling away at a generic sock pattern. Honestly, I have been dying to knit up the two skeins of Madeline Tosh sock yarn that I bought at a craft festival. The fiber is buttery soft, with lovely variegation. It has failed to pool (score!) and there is more than enough yardage for a pair of larger socks. I neglected to make a gauge swatch (no surprise there) and decided to cast on 72 stitches for the cuff on size 2 needles. They fit perfectly! My knit-fu was strong with this project, it seems. I can't wait to knit up the second skein in the "vintage apron" colorway. A little gaudy, but sexy in the way that purchasing yarn in the rain under a tent at a street festival is hot.

I am torn at the moment. I have nearly completed so many projects, but I somehow lose steam when I venture close to the finish line. Lame, I know. I need to complete a few things and finally start the socks I promised my boyfriend many moons ago. I have a preference for knitting socks from the cuff down, so making them from the toe up (boy feet = yardage check necessity) is going to be a challenge. The short row heel will be a trial I have to face because the yarn I bought is self-patterning. Yes, I'm aware I am lazy.

No comments: