Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Few Firsts


Hand-Dyed Lace Weight
Originally uploaded by craftytails
The yarn I have decided to post is my first experience in dyeing. It's not as wonderful or half as creative as that foxy minx Dee, but it was quite enjoyable. This occurred in the dye lab at yarn school (scroll down to see the picture of the angora bunny sticking out it's tongue!) and I have no idea if this was a success. I forgot to spray down part of the yarn before squirting the dye on top, so there are uneven patches and general oddness in this skein. One day, I will be brave enough to actually make something out of it to see what type of mistakes I made.

In my grand tradition of shutting out bad things by trying to replace with good, I have procrastinated horribly in my personal life. I sincerely apologize for the long wait for those people who want finished objects from me. Instead of completing the increasing queue of FOs, I decided to stash-bust by starting my first adult-sized blanket. Am I an idiot? Why yes. I believe I am. Friends and family are still patiently awaiting scarves, hats and socks. There is even a sweater involved! And what do I decide to do in my faltering attempt at wisdom? Knit a silly blanket that is full of child-like colors and heavy construction. After three and a half years, I still find myself telling others that the yarn tells me what to do. Of all the traits I have been accused of over the years, being submissive is not one of them. This is completely embarrassing.

Tomorrow, (I know what time I am writing this and it's not considered "tomorrow" until I wake up. At least, to me.) I will take photos of actual knitting projects to post at a later date. Of course, everything usually goes on Ravelry, but there is a scant amount of time that allows me to take photos to post each week. Usually, I am out for the weekend and this is the only time I have natural light available. If only the day job didn't interfere with my knitting...

No comments: